Learn More About Us
The Ohio Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
At the Ohio Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), we help family lawyers in Ohio realize their full potential, giving them the tools they need to uphold the sanctity of family law in our state.
Our members specialize in the following areas of matrimonial law:
- Divorce. Divorce is one of the most legally complex forms of civil litigation. From methods of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) like mediation and collaborative divorce to contested in-court divorce, our members work with clients to develop comprehensive case strategies and navigate the process with confidence.
- Legal separation. Divorce isn't always the best option. Many couples choose to legally separate before dissolving their marriage, giving them time to discuss matters like property division and child custody. Our matrimonial attorneys are familiar with all the latest legislation on legal separation in Ohio.
- Annulment. Under certain circumstances, a marriage qualifies for annulment. Our members understand annulment legislation and best practices.
- Prenuptial agreements. Prenuptial agreements can be powerful legal tools, enabling two parties to have an evenhanded, peaceful marriage. Our fellows know how to negotiate an equitable prenup.
- The allocation of parental rights and responsibilities. It's no secret that child custody battles are often the most contentious part of a divorce. Our members are always up to date with the newest best practices for helping clients navigate child custody cases and develop effective parenting plans.
- Shared parenting. A healthy co-parenting arrangement can have a tremendous impact on children and parents involved in a child custody arrangement. Our lawyers know how to facilitate positive co-parenting relationships in child custody cases.
- Parenting time. Dividing parenting time between prospective co-parents can be difficult. Our attorneys understand the best ways to approach timeshares and parenting plans for their clients.
- Property valuation and division. The outcome of a property division case can set the tone for a client's financial future. Our fellows are intimately familiar with the latest Ohio property division laws and understand best practices for approaching the division of marital assets and liabilities.
- The identification of marital and separate property. Identifying separate and marital property plays an integral role in any property division case. Our members help make the process less of a hassle for their clients.
- Spousal and child support. An equitable spousal or child support judgment can be vital to secure a child or spouse's wellbeing in divorce cases. Our family lawyers understand the ins and outs of new spousal and child support legislation in Ohio.
Our members are experienced family law attorneys who are backed by a legacy of success and the respect of our peers.
The breadth of our membership enables us to host various events, from webinars to our AAML Symposium, that give legal professionals the tools they need to navigate the Ohio family law system successfully.
To learn more about joining the Ohio Chapter of the AAML,
visit our “Becoming a Fellow” Page.